Forgot?

"New topic" page issue

Reply Topic
Link to this post 14 Mar 12

When you click new topic, the "posting" page is a complete mess. I've been trying to figure out how to fix it but have had no luck.

Underneath "Topic Icon" it repeats the word: "Test test test test test test test" and the text entry box is tiny.

In the ninjaboard FAQ I noticed the text box issue could be caused by a javascript conflict with another plugin/module/component - is there any way of narrowing down which one it could be so I can disable it?

I ran the error console on my browser and it said: SCRIPT5009: 'jQuery' is undefined
14, line 146 character 2

Line 146 is a function below the comments:
//markItUp!
// ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Copyright (C) 2008 Jay Salvat
// http://markitup.jaysalvat.com/

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Hi MikeW3,

This is definitely a javascript issue. The only way to isolate the problematic script is to disable all plugins/modules on that page that load js to get Ninjaboard working again. Then re-enable them one by one until you find the culprit.

Cheers,
Mark

It's a pretty basic page - would it have to be one of the scripts loading in the header? You'll have to excuse me, when it comes to javascript I'm clueless.

The only scripts I can see loading in the header are:
<script type="text/javascript" src="/includes/js/joomla.javascript.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/index.php/policeforum/post/forum/media/com_ninja/js/jquery/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/index.php/policeforum/post/forum/media/com_ninjaboard/js/jquery/site.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="/index.php/policeforum/post/forum/media/com_ninja/js/jquery/jquery.markitup.pack.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/media/system/js/mootools.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/components/com_gantry/js/gantry-totop.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/components/com_gantry/js/gantry-buildspans.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="/components/com_gantry/js/gantry-smartload.js"></script>

Hi Mike,

I think this is about the same site which I helped you out with last week.
But to be sure, can you please post a link to this site?

The Javascript conflict is usually caused by third party scripts from other extensions.
The best way to narrow it down is to disable plugins form the Plugin Manager which are using javascript.

The tiny entry box is most of the time caused by the system plugin System - Mootools Upgrade.
Try to enable or disable (publish/unpublish) this plugin and see what happens.

As for the topic icon side-effect, I assume that you use Opera and suspect that this is a Opera bug.
I've experienced this once. If I'm right, try another browser like FireFox or Chrome and see if the problem is gone.

I hope this helps.
Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
John

Hey John,

Yes it is the same site... http://www.northcops.com/index.php/policeforum

I've unistalled everything Mootools I can find, but it still appears to attempt to load a mootools related javascript for some reason.

I've been using firefox, safari, and IE to access the site - I've never used opera.

I'll start disabling plugins to see what I can find.

Hi MikeW3,

Ahh, thanks for the link. This is not (at first glance) caused by a Javascript conflict. Please see this thread for a solution to your problem. Please don't post in that thread, but let us know here how it works out for you.

Kind regards,
Mark

Definitely a SEF issue!

Thanks Mark ;-)

-John

It worked! Thanks guys... I have no idea how you figure all of this stuff out!!

I renamed htaccess.txt to .htaccess, set "use Apache mod_rewrite" to yes, and SEF URLS to no in the Global Configuration and everything started working....

There is certainly great customer service here, now if only my cell and cable providers were near as good I'd be laughing! :)

Link to this post 15 Mar 12

Hi Mike,

Great to hear Ninjaboard is good now! Thanks to Mark!
It's just that we recognize these things, it's a mix of knowledge and experiences.
Besides that we learn a lot from testing and of course reports of the users, we inspect and figure out a way to fix it.

So, any report about issues, errors and usability from our members/users are very valuable for us.
This way we can keep track in order to narrow down most bugs and improve our extensions.

We do the best we can to provide as much service/support as possible.

So, thank you for reporting back to us and of course your trust and assistance the other day.

If you need help in the future, feel free to ask.

Kind regards,
John

Home Forum Joomla Extension Support NinjaBoard "New topic" page issue