Forgot?

Lock topic and make sticky

Reply Topic
Link to this post 11 Jul 11

Hi,

New to Ninjaboard and this forum.

Just developing a private website and forum and having carried out lengthy evaluation decided on using Joomla and Ninjaboard.

Everything going to plan but come across an issue:-

1. Need to allow Administration to post a topic on a forum or sub-forum and then lock and make sticky so Registered users can only read.

2. I've read a couple of posts and slightly confused because one posts seems to indicate that they can lock a topic but registered users can reply if they select a particular post.
3. Whereas another post is asking a similar question to mine and your reply indicates that these features are not available in v1.0 but were in the delivery plan for v1.1. Further down the topic you have now indicated that due to further toolbar design work it is now proposed to deliver the features in v1.2.

Qu1 - Would appreciate if you could confirm:-

a. Is either or both of the 'lock topic' and 'sticky' features are available and if so how this is achieved?
b. If not available are they still in the v1.2 delivery schedule and if so do we have a provisional delivery date?

Regards
SteveB

Both locked and stickied topics are currently scheduled for the 1.2 milestone, this milestone is due Monday, 18 Jul 2011, but to be honest I don't see that date as realistic. Most of the work is done by one guy assisted by a few helpful souls. There's only so much they can do.

Someone more involved than me can probably provide a better answer, but hopefully this gives some indication.

Hi SteveB,

Welcome to NinjaForge.

Thanks for trying Ninjaboard.

a. Is either or both of the 'lock topic' and 'sticky' features are available and if so how this is achieved?
We're sorry, but neither of these features is available in the current release of Ninjaboard.
b. If not available are they still in the v1.2 delivery schedule and if so do we have a provisional delivery date?
They are indeed in the roadmap for Ninjaboard 1.2. Unfortunately we can't provide a delivery date. I know it's annoying to not have an ETA, but I'm sorry we've upset too many people in the past when things are delayed for reasons beyond out control. Check back in a month or two.... maybe it will be out by then.

Cheers,
Mark

@ccondrup, just noticed you posted before me :)
Cheers!

Link to this post 12 Jul 11

Hi pxweb,

Other than what's already said, you could always use Kunena or Agora, as we support 1-click migrations for both.
That way you can setup a forum that got the features you need, then later migrate to Ninjaboard once we meet your requirements.

Both locked and stickied topics are currently scheduled for the 1.2 milestone, this milestone is due Monday, 18 Jul 2011, but to be honest I don't see that date as realistic.

Hehe, that's not realistic no. Those milestone dates are guidelines, and this one haven't been updated since our change in schedule.

Hi Stian,

Many thanks for your suggestion, sounds a good solution and we will investigate.

Based on the two which one would you recommend?
It appears Kunena has the best reviews

If I went with this solution would appreciate if you could confirm:-

1. With the 1-click migrate solution back to NinjaBoard would this preserve all the forums and settings or would I have to rebuild?

2. Based on NinjaBoard delivering the features we require say in v1.2 how does NinjaBoard compare to Kunena or Agora?

Regards
SteveB

Hi,

I'm friends with the lead developers of both, so I recommend you try them both and choose which fit your needs the best.
That said, Kunena is very strong for community like forums and got more support from template vendors like JoomlArt, while Agora is very strong for support style forums with features like reply by email.

1. With the 1-click migrate solution back to NinjaBoard would this preserve all the forums and settings or would I have to rebuild?

All your data will migrate, except for global settings. Per forum settings will migrate, but not the global preferences.
This is because Ninjaboard differ a lot from Kunena and Agora in features. They have many features we don't, and we have many features they don't.

2. Based on NinjaBoard delivering the features we require say in v1.2 how does NinjaBoard compare to Kunena or Agora?

Me being both a designer and coder means that features you find in Ninjaboard have a stronger focus on design than our competition got. As good design isn't an afterthought, but a vital part of the developing process. The other Ninjas share my point of view on the importance of giving both code and design a balanced focus.
So our features are better looking and better thought out because of how we think and our vision for Ninjaboard.
And because of our competition, we allow ourself to raise the bar on server specifications, making us focus a lot on the higher end market.
And since Ninjaboard is used on several major Joomla sites, like JCE, Akeeba Backup and others things like performance is extremely important to us.

And secondly, Ninjaboard is built on top of Nooku Framework. Nooku is the new kid on the block regarding PHP frameworks, and is by far the best one using more bleeding edge technologies and implementing the best PHP coding patterns in the industry.
That makes the codebase in Ninjaboard the most modern and maintainable of the forums available today.

Thirdly, we take things like icons seriously. Every icon in Ninjaboard is hand picked. The topic icons is even made by a Mac icon designer we hired, made specifically for Ninjaboard that you can use for free! Making your forums look very professional and polished.

And finally, security isn't an after thought either. Several of the Ninjas (including me) have a hacker background, so we test our code for security vulnerabilities as we code, not as a second step.
We also hired Jeff Channell (the best Joomla hacker in the world, best hacker I know personally) to do a security audit to find vulnerabilities we missed.
We'll likely hire him again soon for a checkup just so we're on the safe side.

The new features in 1.2 will make Ninjaboard fill in the void regarding features that we miss today, but many site owners today simply can't be without. That doesn't necessarily mean we're behind the others in general. We have many features they don't, like the ability to set a custom display name per user, built in gravatar support, Chameleon auto skinning template etc.

So that's how Ninjaboard compares in my personal opinion. Naturally my opinion is biased, so I tried to keep my answer as objective and factual as possible.

Cheers

Home Forum Joomla Extension Support NinjaBoard Lock topic and make sticky