Forgot?

Joomla 2.5 Bug and Addition to Userguide

Reply Topic
Link to this post 12 Mar 13

First off, I have to say that I already love the component. It works great, simple, easy to use, aesthetically pleasing, it does everything my client needs it to do without a ton of bells and whistles.

Bug:

In the Joomla 2.5 beta, after I update the "Map" for the permissions and click save, it goes back to the Usergroups, but then I can't click on anything except the Map button again. But the good news, is that it works fine in Firefox. It isn't working in Chrome version 25.0.1 (not the current version, but the last version before the current one, I need to upgrade). I'm on Windows 7 and I'm using an updated and clean Joomla 2.5 with no other extensions installed (my test environment).

Addition to Userguide:
For those who find this useful, and something to maybe note in any future user guides.

How to make a private forum for certain registered users:

How to use Ninjaboard to create a private forum (no need for registration in Joomla outside of Ninjaboard):

1) Create a new user group called "Registered Private Forum User" or whatever you want.
2) Click on "Map" in Usergroups to link the user group you just created with the Registered users.
3) Click on the "Users" tab and assign users to the new user group you just created.
4) Go to the "Forums" tab and click on the forum topic you want to give private access to.
5) Change the permissions for the user group you just created, to allow them access and creation rights to that forum topic. Also change the permission access for other users you do not want to have access (ie. public and registered users)
Done! Create a new user and test it out, you will now have a private forum only certain registered users can see, and they won't have moderator rights either.

How to use Joomla's default User Groups (in case you have other functionality on your website attached to registered users, like subscriptions to downloadable content and you want to allow them access to a user support forum topic in your forums):

1) In Joomla 2.5, go to Users, then Groups (under the User Manager)
2) Add another group called "Registered Private Forum User" or whatever you want to call it
3) Go to Users and assign the users you want to give permission to, to the newly created group
4) Go to Components, then Ninjaboard, and then User Groups.
5) Create a new user group called "Registered Private Forum User" or whatever you want.
6) Click on "Map" in Usergroups to link the user groups you just created.
7) Go to the "Forums" tab and click on the forum topic you want to give private access to.
8) Change the permissions for the user group you just created, to allow them access and creation rights to that forum topic. Also change the permission access for other users you do not want to have access (ie. public and registered users)
Done! Create a new user and test it out, you will now have a private forum only certain registered users can see, and they won't have moderator rights either.

Hope that helps anyone out.

Link to this post 12 Mar 13

A most excellent guide, thanks designlink! :)

Link to this post 20 Apr 13

In the Joomla 2.5 beta, after I update the "Map" for the permissions and click save, it goes back to the Usergroups, but then I can't click on anything except the Map button again.

In Chrome you can press F5 to get the link to react again.

Forums NinjaBoard Joomla 2.5 Bug and Addition to Userguide