Forgot?

Shadowbox instability with IE7 en IE8

Reply Topic
Link to this post 24 Jul 09

Hi,

First of all a great plugin which fulfill my needs perfectly. I have tested both the module and the plugin, version 2.05. But I have running into some issues. With FF3.5 everything fine.

After reading the forum, I have switched the plugin to the EXT library. Both in IE7 and IE8, sometimes it works, sometimes not. Mostly not and after some page reloads it works indeed.

I have also tested the old version which works fine with all the libraries (except Prototype and the broken link to loading.gif).

Is there any fix for 2.05, because this is the plugin I need, but it's essential for me it works with IE7 en IE8

Thanks !

Walter

Link to this post 25 Jul 09

Hi walterdj,

Please try the jquery library instead; it is quite stable in IE7 so if you continue to have issues please post a link to your website if you want help as it is likely not a problem with shadowbox but with something else on your webpage affecting it.

*After* you have it working in IE7, read this post for an IE8 fix.

Hi Mark,

First of all, thanks for the support. I reinstalled the plugin (2.05) and checked everything again, but same results as I wrote before.

There's a testpage on the website: http://www.intersoftdesign.nl/index.php/websites/test-artikel

Thanks !

Walter

Hi Walter, can you try disabling JCE utilities please.

Hi Daniel,

I have disabled the JCE utilities. It works now with FF3.5 using the jQuery library. Unfortunately not with IE7, IE8 comp. mode and IE8.

Thanks !

Walter

Hi Daniel,

Update, I am getting some consistancy here:

IE7 browser -> not working

IE8 browser:

When I switch from IE8 to comp. mode the page reloads -> it works
Reloading the page -> not working anymore

Switching back from comp. mode to IE8 the page reloads -> it works
Reloading the page -> not working anymore

So I am having the same results in IE8 and IE8 comp. mode. An IE7 native browser doesn't work at all, FF3.5 no problem whatsoever.

There's no difference with JCE utilities enabled or disabled.

Does this make any sense ?

Regards and thanks !

Walter

Link to this post 28 Jul 09

Hi Walter, I just noticed, but did you say that the old version of shadowbox works?

If so, why not use that one?

They both use different versions of the Shadowbox JS script which we have no control over, so if one works it's probably fine to use it.

Link to this post 30 Jul 09

Hi Daniel & Mark

We can't use the old version due to other problems. The old version (Mootools lib) works only with SEF disbaled, which is not an option for us.

Secondly, we like the skin of the new version, which fits the website design more.

We want use the new version very much, but really getting stuck on this IE7/IE8 issue. If IE7 works and have to force the visiters browser into compatibility mode, that would be ok for us.

Any ideas to try here

Thanks !

Walter

Good thing you messaged back today!

I was browsing the shadobox-js.com site and they have some ides for glitchy IE in their FAQ. Perhaps you can try them out.

http://www.shadowbox-js.com/faq.html

Hi Daniel,

Yes, I have been away for 2 days. Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately doesn't solve the problem. Meanwhile I think in which direction the problem occurs, GavickPro templates.

I have installed 2.05 in one of our websites (normal template) and shadowbox works as expected, IE7 works with jQuery. IE8 breaks, but can be solved to force compatibility mode.

On the intersoft-site, which uses the Coolphoto template, works as described before. Switching modes works in both IE7 and IE8, but reloading the page it breaks. This template also loads "template_scripts.js".

I have also the SoloWorld website using the MusicTop template from GavickPro. It also loads "template_scripts.js". Version 2.05 doesn't work at all in articles, but it does work in Virtuemart, both IE7 and IE8, without any problem. But also on these pages "template-scripts.js" is loaded and there's no problem whatsoever.

It's hard to find the problem, due all these inconsistencies, but I guess the problem is somewhere here. I was wondering if you have any experience with GavickPro templates and/or somebody else here uses these templates also ?

Thanks !

Walter

PS: I have attached the "template_scripts.js" file. I did disable popup_login, popup_register and the style-switcher, but same results. [file name=template_scripts.txt size=4201]http://ninjaforge.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/template_scripts.txt[/file]

Well it is very possible that the template is the cause as you are the first to report these particular issues.

I haven't had a chance to play with any Gavick templates myself so I can't say for sure if they are the cause or not. Have you looked on their forums?

Hi Daniel,

I have checked the Gavick forums. There are some articles related to Gavick ImageShow component, not to actual templates and of course I placed a message on the board.

Meanwhile I have stripped down the template to the bone, all with the same results. Also checking the page source and even when it's exactly the same code, there's different behaviour with the IE browsers.

I've working on this issue whole day again, it really doesn't make sense and it's driving me totally nuts :S

So, let's see if Gavick can provide some help otherwise, unfortunately, we have to drop the shadowbox plugin and look for an other solution.

Thanks !

Walter

Have you tried changing the template on the site with problems and then seeing if it works in different templates on the same site?

Hi Daniel,

Yes, I did. I installed the JA_Purity template, IE7 and IE8 comp mode works, only IE8 breaks (after the transparant overlay, it runs into an error). But as mentioned before, forcing IE8 into comp. mode is no problem whatsoever.

With the Coolfoto template I've stripped js-files out, disabled additional plugins etc., but again, same result. Switching mode works (IE8), after reload it opens in a browser frame, not shadowbox. And as I was saying, after reload it loads the exact same code (source view).

So, I really don't know what is causing this behaviour.

Thanks !

Walter

Hi Daniel,

Update: With the JA_Purity template it works stable in IE7, looks that way. But in IE8 and comp. mode after some reloads, it also opens in the browser, not in shadowbox.

So again, totally inconsistant behaviour.

Walter

Hi Walter,

Can you please check that the page shadowbox is on is XHTML valid http://validator.w3.org/

Hi Mark,

Yes, I did and also that looks fine !
It's kinda weird and becoming a challenge now, also for some others.

Thanks !

Walter

Link to this post 31 Jul 09

this may seem like a stupid question, but can you zip over to the real shadowbox site: http://www.shadowbox-js.com and make sure it works in ie8

Link to this post 31 Jul 09

p.s. I am on a mac and I don't have ie8 installed on my old PC

Forums Joomla Extension Support Shadowbox instability with IE7 en IE8